Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

My Dress

I think a lot of people think they need to spend a ton of money to get a beautiful wedding dress. Our expectations are that we should feel some kind of elation, maybe cry, when we find "the" dress. I disagree. I believe you can wear a beautiful gown, spend a smallish amount on it, and be happy about the purchase. I don't believe in "Say Yes to the Dress" type freak outs when you try on "THE" one.

I had been dress shopping for a while. Originally we were supposed to be married LAST September. But things happened (namely a car accident that depleted my savings) and we meant to get married this year. Unfortunately, (or fortunately??) our wedding venue was booked for this year. Again we had to push back our date! We were pretty much set on the venue so it wasn't like it was a difficult decision to push it back a few more months. Af first I thought it might be cute to wait until September again and do it on 9/10/11, but that was a little too long for us. After all, our engagement has already doubled the length it was supposed to be.

Anyway, the first time I went dress shopping, I went to good ole David's Bridal. They were advertising their famous 99 dollar dress sale. Honestly? A load of false advertising. When you get there, they may have one or two dresses for that price point (if any) in your size for you to try. The rest of the dresses (that I tried at least) ran about 50 dollars off. Which wasn't too bad, but for all of the hype I would have expected something a little better.

This one really was pretty. But it only had the tiniest sweep train and I kind of felt like it was not well proportioned for a petite chick like myself.
I loved LOVED loved the back of this one. I love a dramatic back. I can't help it.

This one was a real contender. The chiffon material was light and romantic. This picture really does not do this dress justice. Only issue was I wouldn't be able to try on a 2 petite unless I bought it and ordered it


I wasn't really able to make a committment to any of these dresses, so I went home to think it over a little bit. None of them really even popped back into my mind over the weekend so I knew I hadn't found anything yet.

Fast forward a couple weeks later and I'm making an appointment at Blush Bridal Consignment Boutique in Port Warwick. My mom and I get there and immediately we love it. It’s a totally serene atmosphere. Nothing like the hectic bridal extravaganza that is David’s. Holly sells new and gently used accessories, bridesmaid dresses, and of course, wedding gowns.


The experience there was just…awesome. My mom and I picked out a few dresses for me to try on…Designer dresses. Like Mori Lee, Maggie Soterro, etc. There is nothing cheap and polyestery about the dresses I tried on at Blush. Not at all.

The first one I tried on was a discontinued Maggie Sotterro.

It looks something like this.


Immediately I loved the texture of the smooth satin and the delicate beading. I’m not a fan of beads and foo foo type girly stuff but I did like the subtlety of the clear beads and crystals that shimmered delicately in the light.

The most interesting thing about this particular dress was the fact that it was already the perfect length (Bride who consigned it must have been a fellow midget) and had a bustle! So I wouldn’t have to pay for any alterations.

At. All.

Can you imagine? I was pretty much sold when I figured that out. I am now the proud owner of a thousand dollar Maggie Sottero dress. And I only spent 500! Total!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question? Or a comment?