Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Great Frame of Mind

I have a tendency to buy things I see for a really good deals without thinking them through 100 percent (a small flaw in an otherwise perfect person, I know...) So when I purchased two great frames from Ross, let's just say I wasn't EXACTLY sure what I was going to be doing with them.
Well, once I got them home, I noticed a particularly bare spot above our bed that would be a nice home for the twin frames. I hung them up to see how they would look, and I'm ashamed to admit that they hung there empty like that for more than a couple of weeks! 

I had a little bit of a dilemma in deciding what to frame in them. I could do black and white art. Such is my thing you know. I love the timeless feel it lends to any space. But after searching for the right print or photo to house beneath the glass, I decided I would have to take an alternative route. 

My first idea was to go out and find a beautiful roll of wrapping paper to frame. Cheap, pretty, and quick. 

Then I thought about getting scrapbook paper and creating really the same type of feel as the wrapping paper would provide. I went to Joann's and found these totally adorable papers that I would love to have hanging above my bed.

Another idea I had (which logically came about because I was in JOANN'S), was to frame some fabric. JoAnn's sells these little scraps of fabric meant for quilitng. They come in different sizes. The set I purchased had four pieces of 18x21 inch fabric, which was exactly what I needed to fill out my frame.





I picked a really cute black and white contrasting pattern and cut it to fit the frames. I ironed the pieces with some heavy starch, popped them into the frames, and hung them back up. Really easy. Anyone could do it. And it could work for any space needing some cheap art.






Other ideas I pondered (and may switch to if I tire of the fabric!) were writing quotes or love letters on thick paper and framing them. A similar idea involved using a typewriter to type out said quotes and love letters. 


I also thought it would be cute to save some of my favorite greeting cards by making a collage out of my favorites and throwing them behind the glass. I hate throwing away a card someone lovingly gifted me, but I also hate clutter and how things just end up piling up and you never get to look at them.

Another thing I thought about was framing leaves or feathers. Something natural and organic to add some texture to the room. Peacock feathers would be quite stunning against the white mats. 

The moral of the story here is that anything really goes when you're thinking of things to frame. You can really go as far as your creativity will take you. Bonus points if what you framed is something sentimental.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question? Or a comment?